Commitment

"But Ruth replied, 'Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.'" Ruth 1:16-17

Just short of 24 years ago, my wife and I stood before God, friends and family, and each other and said, "I will." Little did either of us know the implications of those two little words. From my wife's perspective things like, "I will put up with your snoring, not to mention your too often junior high boy behavior." Other implications include: I will love you even when I do not like you. I will serve you. I will be kind to you. I will sacrifice myself for you. I will remain ever faithful to you. I will all of these and so much more regardless of whether you will or not. And finally, at the end of the day, only the coroner will be able to separate me from you. I will.

In our verses for the day, we find Ruth, a daughter-in-law, exhibiting this fierce sense of loyalty and commitment. She got it. She remained faithful to her mother-in-law even after her husband had died. No turning back. No throwing in the towel. No exit strategy. Her attitude was, "Come what may we're in it to the end...together." As a result, God chose to bless her in incredible ways.

If we are married today, it's gut check time. Where are we on the "I will" commitment? May the Lord deal with us, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates us from our spouse.

In Christ,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?