Not Guilty

"He saved us, not because of the good things we did, but because of his mercy.  He washed away our sins and gave us a new life through the Holy Spirit.  He generously poured out the Spirit upon us because of what Jesus Christ our Savior did.  He declared us not guilty because of his great kindness.  And now we know that we will inherit eternal life."      Titus 3:5-7

As I leaned over to grab my ankles, a wide variety of thoughts raced through my 13 year old mind ... "Is this going to hurt?  I'd rather not be here.  Is this really happening?  What will my parents think when they find out?"  Whack!! Ouch!  My inquiry as to the painfulness of getting a swat from my burly history teacher was rather convincingly answered.  While reflecting on this particularly vivid memory, I notice that at no time then or since then did I ever think or say, "I'm innocent!  This punishment is an injustice!"  Nope.  Never.  I was guilty and I knew it.

Guilt is a theme that weaves its way through the Bible.  It's on display in our verses for the day in a way that causes us to pause and reflect.  God declares us, "Not Guilty!"  However, we know, just like I did that day in the 7th grade, that we are guilty.  In comparison to the absolute and total perfection of God, well, let's just say we're not.  How then can our verdict be rendered, "Not Guilty"?  Think ... Mercy.  Kindness.  Generousness.  Washed.  Gift.  Saved.  On what basis?  The only basis possible ... Jesus' death on the cross.

One of two things are true if we are living in guilt today.  Either we have not yet received Jesus' gift of forgiveness or we are failing to truly appreciate the absolute power of the cross.  Jesus is so committed to our "not guilty" verdict that he took it upon himself to stand in and take our "swat" for us.  There is no need for any of us to spend one more moment mired in guilt, shame, and regret...

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?