True Children

"But I say, 'don't resist an evil person! If you are slapped on the right cheek, turn the other, too. ... You have heard that the law of Moses says, 'Love your neighbor' and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust, too" Matthew 6:39, 43-46
 
I recently encountered what I perceived as disrepectful behavior towards me. I like to think I have a pretty thick skin and can let things roll off fairly easily, but this situation sparked me. The flames of pride and ego were stoked. I'm more than a little embarrassed to admit it, but I've struggled with feeling like I don't care if I ever see that person again. Given that heart reality, it's no wonder that I would encounter this teaching of Jesus at this particular time.

There are some teachings of Jesus that cause us great internal turmoil. No matter how hard we try to convince ourselves that what he really meant was... or this teaching doesn't apply to me or whatever, it still confronts us to our core. This teaching is one of those. It's so counter to everything within and around us that it almost makes us mad that he would say it. "Love your enemies!?" That's crazy talk! It's no surprise then that Jesus would say this is what a true child of God looks like. They are not of this world. 

Truth be told, there is still way too much of this world in me. What about you? 

Grace and Peace,
 
Tom Wiles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?