Hear and Do

"But Jehoshaphat asked, 'Isn't there a prophet of the Lord around, too? I would like to ask him the same question. ... So Micaiah told him, 'In a vision I saw all Israel scattered on the mountain, like sheep without a shepherd. And the Lord said, 'Their master has been killed. Send them home in peace.' ... So the king of Israel and King Jehoshaphat led their armies against Ramoth-gilead." II Chronicles 18:6,16,28

After reciting my litany of aches, pains, and "things I used to be able to do", my doctor gave me her prescription. Eat healthier. Consume less caffeine. Exercise ... a lot. So, I went home grabbed a bag of chips and a soda, sat down on the lazy boy and complained about how she had no idea what she was talking about it. Fundamentally, my problem was not an information shortage. It was an unwillingness to do anything with the information I had.

Our story today reveals a king suffering from that same malady I see in myself way too often. King Jehoshaphat knew enough to consult the Lord, but apparently wasn't very impressed with the Lord's answer. So, he followed his own plan and was nearly killed as a result.

It turns out Jesus' brother James nailed it when he wrote, "Don't merely be hearers of the word, but be doers." Information gathering without application results in arrogance and apathy. To hear and do transforms a life into a powerhouse within the Kingdom of God. It is also the clearest and loudest way we tell our heavenly Father, "I love you too."

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?