Fortress

"O Lord, I have come to you for protection; don't let me be disgraced. Save me, for you do what is right. Turn your ear to listen to me; rescue me quickly. Be my rock of protection, a fortress where I will be safe. You are my rock and my fortress. For the honor of your name, lead me out of this danger. Pull me from the trap my enemies set for me, for I find protection in you alone. I entrust my spirit into your hand. Rescue me Lord for you are a faithful God." Psalm 31:1-8


As the snow continued to pile up, I couldn't wait to get out there and make things happen. A snowman, an igloo, and most importantly, a snow fortress. All the neighbor kids found their way outside and the snow wars began. It was great! Snowballs flying up and over snow walls. Dozens of carefully crafted snowballs lined up and ready for battle. I have no idea how long it lasted, but as the sun set, the biting cold and mom's call brought us home with plenty of stories to tell, particularly about my fortress that was the best ... "by far!!!"


David loved to speak of his fortress as well. His wasn't a fortress made of snow, wood or stone. No, his fortress was none other than God himself. What a wonderful list of powerful words: protection, safety, rescue, rock, protection and faithfulness to name a few. David had all this and so much more as he faithfully pursued God.


David's enemy, our enemy, the devil is still on the prowl seeking to destroy and devour. Sometimes our circumstances smother our passion, our courage, our hope. As difficult as it is at times to admit, we need a fortress. We can run this way and that in search of one or we can look up and see God's strong right arm extended in deliverance.  


Grace and Peace,

 

Tom


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?