Plans and Purposes

"The Lord Almighty has sworn this oath: 'It will all happen as I have planned. It will come about according to my purposes. I will break the Assyrians when they are in Israel; I will trample them on my mountains. My people will no longer be their slaves. I have a plan for the whole earth, for my mighty power reaches throughout the world. The Lord Almighty has spoken -- who can change his plans? When his hand moves, who can stop him?'" Isaiah 14:24-27

I had every intention of following through. The weather was great. The lawn was long. The mowers were ready to roll. Nothing but green lights. It was go time! However, after some lengthy conversations, after meetings I had failed to take into account and after the setting of the sun, go time came and went. My plan was blown up. My checklist item that read, "Mow the yard," was still on the list. Have you ever been there?

In our verses for the day, God reveals that this breakdown between plan and reality is one he never experiences. It will all happen as he has planned. His purposes will not be thwarted. These are bold claims given the world appears to be a train wreck and getting worse every passing year. On what basis does he make this claim? On two things ... His identity: Lord Almighty. His resources: mighty power.

What are the implications of this truth for our life? We need to understand regardless of what we feel or our perception that the world is in chaos, which leads to panic and doomsday thinking, is actually history moving forward according to his purposes. His plan is sure and it is good. The only question left for us is, "Do I trust in the Lord and his mighty power or not?"

Grace and Peace,

Tom Wiles
tom@fallcreekchristian.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?