More Than Anything


"Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." Psalm 73:25-26

I love a big ol' burger and fries. Hmm ... so good. It just my be my favorite meal. Well, a big juicy steak might just edge it out when push comes to shove. Then, there's pizza. I can't get enough pizza. Yikes, I can't forget seafood. Grilled jumbo shrimp, lobster, crab legs, fresh fish. Appetizers of crab stuffed mushrooms covered in cheese. Okay, I give up. It's too hard for me to find that more than anything food. 

Asaph, the author of the psalm from which our verses of the day come, was in some real turmoil in regards to his favorite as well. Not his stomach's favorite, but his heart's favorite. He was angry and frustrated that people who didn't care about God at all had everything this world could offer and he didn't. His vision had gotten cloudy, his perspective warped. Fortunately, he began to look up again and his sanity was restored.

His journey is one we will all take, more than once I'm afraid. This world is loud. It's right in our face telling us that what it has is what we not only want, but need. The competition for the affection of our heart is fierce. The trappings of this world will constantly be a siren's call to our flesh. God's Spirit, however, will always call us to the glory, grandeur and splendor of God. Who or what is your "more than anything" these days? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?