He Is So I Will


"I love you, Lord; you are my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold. I will call on the Lord, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies." Psalm 18:1-3

As the young woman entered the hospital room in her white lab coat, we just looked at her quizzically. The same questions were bouncing around in all our heads. Who are you? What are you doing here? Clearly the looks on our faces communicated the same questions. She quickly introduced herself and let us know she was Dr. So-and-so's physician assistant. After that, we freely asked her questions appropriate to her identity.  

In Psalm 18, David couldn't stop himself from reciting everything he knew God to be. My Strength. My Rock. My Fortress. My Savior. My God. My Protector. My Shield. My Strength. My Stronghold. Whoa! Given this reality of who God is, David responded appropriately and passionately. "I love you, Lord." "I will call on the Lord." His experiences with God informed his responses to Him.

Who do we know God to be? In your daily walk with him, how have you experienced him? Does it look, sound or feel anything like what we see David writing here? If not, why not? Is the Lord our primary passion like he was for David or do we imagine him to be a spiritual accessory to call on or blame when times get tough? What adjustments need to be made in our lives so that we cry out with David, "I love you, Lord."?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?