Help

"I look up to the mountains--does my help come from there?  My help comes from the Lord, who made the heavens and the earth!  He will not let you stumble and fall; the one who watches over you will not sleep."  Psalm 121:1-3

"Help!", I cried.  "Send help now!"  Thankfully 911 operators are trained to stay calm, because I sure wasn't.  Before I knew it, she had me in the middle of the crash site, that I had just witnessed, reporting on the condition of the people that were involved in the accident.  She forwarded all that information to the police and fire department and thankfully they arrived within minutes.  I was reminded in no uncertain terms that help is a big deal.

The writer of this Psalm thought so too.  He was looking high and low for help.  Maybe he'd fallen on some tough times, been wronged by a friend, or was experiencing the consequences of some bad decisions.  I don't know.  We just know that help was needed.  He then proclaims that help came.  Powerful.  Relentless.  Diligent.  Persistent.  This help was all this and infinitely more, because it was from God himself.  

In my more honest moments, I know I need help too.  Desperately.  What about you?  We can turn to ourselves, to others, or to the wisdom of this world.  The options are endless.  They are also all brutally inadequate, save one.  We will only find now and forever help from one place -- God.  The cross of Jesus declares just how far God is willing to go to help us.  So, where are you looking for help these days?

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?