Taking Inventory

"Examine yourselves to see if your faith is really genuine.  Test yourselves.  If you cannot tell that Jesus Christ is among you, it means you have failed the test."  II Corinthians 13:5

I could hear the aggressive writing on the clipboard belonging to the man taking me on my driver's license test drive.  He was the last barrier between me and the coveted driver's license.  His note taking made me a little nervous, but I was sure I had nailed my drive.  Unfortunately for me, my self-examination was incorrect.  Something about a school zone... 

Paul was pretty emphatic about this idea of self assessment.  Take inventory.  Test yourself.  Examine intently.  What do you see?  Is there anyone resembling Jesus looking back at you when you look into the mirror?  His challenge was also corporate in nature.  Looking at your family or at your church ... Is Jesus there?  Would he recognize any of us who are claiming his name as his own?

Few of us are huge fans of tests.  It's easy to walk right on passed the admonition to examine ourselves.  We have no problem examining others, but that's not what is being asked of us.  This command is of paramount importance.  This test is one that we simply cannot afford to fail.  So, is your faith really genuine? 

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?