Careful

"Dearest friends, you were always so careful to follow my instructions when I was with you.  And now that I am away you must be even more careful to put into action God's saving work in your lives, obeying God with deep reference and fear.  For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him."
Philippians 2:12-13

Several years ago, I had an old 4-wheel drive SUV.  I used to think that since I had 4-wheel drive that I was obligated to drive through snowdrifts in the winter.  That is until one early evening winter drive with my wife.  She didn't think it was fun or funny when I swerved into the snowbanks on the side of the road.  She had no sooner finished telling me to be more careful when I swerved one more time only to feel the car slide and get absolutely stuck in a ditch.  I felt two eyes boring holes in the side of my head followed quickly by this question, "How do you feel now Mr. Big Bad 4X4?!"

Being careful is an important part of living for God as we see in the verses for the day.  "Be careful", Paul says.  God's instructions and his saving work are not to be conversation pieces on the coffee table that we set out on Sundays. They are to drive the way we live and to shape us to look more and more like Jesus each and every day.

In what ways has spiritual carelessness infiltrated your life?  Perhaps we've even taken to swerving off and on the narrow road.  Be careful.  You're being baited by the devil and his ditches will wreak havoc on your life.  It's time to realign ourselves with the work of God within us so that his will is accomplished and so that his power is on full display in our lives.

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?