Social Risk

"As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at his tax collection booth. 'Come be my disciple,' Jesus said to him.  So Levi got up and followed him.  That night Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to be his dinner guests, along with his fellow tax-collectors and many other notorious sinners. (There were many people of this kind among the crowds that followed Jesus.)"    Mark 2:14-15

On more occasions than I care to admit, I've found myself in a place of real internal tension being around certain people.  It wasn't an issue of personal safety.  It was an issue personal image.  I didn't really want people to see me with that person or those people.  It feels really ugly even as I write the words, but I'm just being honest.  My suspicion is that I'm not the only one who has struggled with this insecurity.

Thankfully, Jesus was and is perfectly comfortable with those at the bottom of the social strata.  He was neither diminished nor expanded by the company he kept.  It simply wasn't an issue for him.  Apparently, Jesus' example was not lost on Levi.  He immediately went out on his own social limb and invited Jesus to hang out with all of his friends.  I'm sure a few of them raised or even furrowed their eyebrows at the sight of Jesus and his disciples walking in the front door.  

Jesus is not put off by any one of us.  Don't hesitate to walk his way.  The time has come to set aside our fears and insecurities, get up and follow him - just like Levi.  We ALL need forgiveness.  Don't look down upon anyone else. The time has come for those who are claiming to be Christ followers to start acting like him - just like Levi.     
       
Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?