Simple

"No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."  Micah 6:8
 
I've never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed. I can identify pretty quickly all the people in the room who are a few IQ points above me. I'm okay with that. Everyone has their points of excellence. It may be the lack of letters after my name or just my personality, but either way, I prefer simple. Complicated leads to confusion and miscommunication. Simple leads to action, movement and progress.

God, through his prophet Micah, chose to go with simple. The people of Israel had lost their way. They were under covenant to worship God alone, but instead they added countless idols and threw in a good measure of self seeking just to seriously muddy up the water. Simple was needed ... Do the right thing, care for others, and stay close and submitted to God. 

I think this simplicity theme is part of what Jesus meant when he said that his burden was light and his yoke was easy. We make life heavy and difficult by doing the wrong things, treating each other poorly, and turning away from God in prideful arrogance. Let's close this devotion simply. Today ... love God and love others.

Grace and Peace,
 
Tom Wiles
tom@fallcreekchristian.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?