Temporary

"Stop loving this evil world and all that it offers you, for when you love the world, you show that you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only the lust for physical pleasure, the lust for everything we see,  and pride in our possessions. These are not from the Father. They are from this evil world. And this world is fading away along with everything it craves. But if you do the will of God, you will live forever."  I John 2:15-17
 
I visited my doctor recently, my annual physical. I talked to her about this ache and this pain and how I used to be able to __________ (fill in the blank). "Well, you're getting a little older", she says. I've decided that I officially don't like getting older, watching my youth slowly fade away. Regardless, it's happening like it or not. All is fading away.

John pointed out this reality in his letter with brutal clarity. All we crave, all we think we need to have, every experience that we desire is fading away. It's temporary. No amount of wishing well visits or technology is going to change that. His counsel? Invest for the long term. Let your life be about the eternally significant and lasting things of God.

I like that. It allows me to smile in spite of my physical decline. It reminds that this world is not the end of the story, my story or your story. Let's turn our attention, our passion, our time, energy and resources towards heavenly investments. Jesus told us to lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven. Forever is a really long time. 
 
Grace and Peace,
 
Tom Wiles
tom@fallcreekchristian.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?