Solid Ground

" I waited patiently for the Lord to help me and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me up out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be astounded. They will put their trust in the Lord." Psalm 40:1-3

Growing up near Lake Michigan, I've made many trips to the sand dunes of Indiana and Michigan. They truly are a wonder to behold. Sitting on the top of those dunes watching the sunset sparkle off the surface of the water speaks peace to the soul. To get to this joyful place, however, one must endure an arduous hike up the sand dune. The energy expended for every step is absorbed by the sliding sand. It is slow and it is fatiguing. It is also, once at the top, worth it.

We read in our verses for the day that the longing for stability and a new perspective is not a new phenomenon, nor is it exclusively a physical experience. The Psalmist shares his longing to step onto emotional, mental and spiritual solid ground. Crying for help from the pit of despair is an experience we all wish we were unfamiliar with, but life can be very difficult at times. Here we read the keys to arriving on solid ground: Cry out to God and Wait patiently.

God hears our cries. He lifts us up out of the pit. He sets us on solid ground. He steadies our shaky steps. He puts a new song in our hearts. In addition to all of that, he then takes our journey and uses it to inspire others to take the journey as well. Fellow weary traveler, keep crying out. Keep waiting. The view from the top is inexpressibly glorious.

Grace and Peace,

Tom Wiles
tom@fallcreekchristian.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?