Denial

“Everything is pure to those whose hearts are pure. But nothing is pure to those who are corrupt and unbelieving, because their minds and consciences are defiled. Such people claim they know God, but they deny him by the way they live. They are despicable and disobedient, worthless for doing anything good."  Titus 1:15-16

I'm sure there were moments in my life growing up where my parents wish they could've denied knowing me. Moments where it would have been easier to simply say, "Nope, I have no idea whose kid that is", than to deal with the reality of my actions. I'm thankful they didn't as I'm sure my kids are glad that I've never denied them. It's a real bummer to be denied, to be disowned, for someone we care about to just walk away.

Here in Paul's letter to Titus, we find out that it's possible to deny God. Here, he's not speaking about the person who says, "I don't believe in God." He's talking about the person who says that they do believe in God, but their behavior betrays that they don't. Check out the negatively visceral language he uses for God-deniers ... corrupt, unbelieving, defiled, despicable,disobedient and worthless for doing anything good. A very unhappy list to be sure.

There is hope though. It's found in the first statement ... a pure heart. A heart without divided loyalties. A heart that seeks true north. A heart that stands fast when tested. A heart that makes no room for that which displeases its creator. A heart so pure that it produces the most delicious of "fruit" ... righteousness. Let's examine our lives carefully. What do they reveal about our heart?

Grace and Peace,

Tom Wiles
tom@fallcreekchristian.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?