Even Though

"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights."
Habakkuk 3:17-19

50 was a particularly distressing birthday. I determined to keep myself busy to not think about it. As I hurried to an appointment that morning, I neglected to pay attention to my speed. Unfortunately, an attentive state trooper did. After noting it was my birthday, he rightfully gave me my speed earned ticket. Even though the day started out rough, I decided to just be thankful I was around to have another birthday.   

During Habakkuk's time as a prophet, the spiritual condition of God's people was in sad shape. He was bummed out because the wicked prospered. He knew God's disciplining hand was upon them. It was a troubling situation. In the midst of it, he chose to pray, to write a praise song as a matter of fact. The theme? Paraphrased, "Even though all is lost and the world is flipped upside down, I still have Jesus so I still have everything."

How are we going to respond when the circumstances of life knock down the door of our lives? The fact is we've already been tested. Some more than others. This sin infected world is no respecter of persons when it comes trials and tribulations. The crucible of testing is one we will not avoid. Will we be as mature of faith as Job to say with him, "Even though he slay me, yet will I trust in him"?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?