Maturity

"Lord, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don't concern myself with matters too great for me to grasp. Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself, like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother's milk. Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord -- now and always." Psalm 131:1-3

"Grow up!" I remember hearing this from my sister when I was a kid. A really annoying kid. I don't know what the motivation for me was to be annoying. I just was ... a loudmouth know-it-all, selfish person with plenty of mean words. My family really couldn't wait for me to grow up. The annoying stage had worn out its welcome.

David painted a powerful picture of spiritual maturity is his short Psalm. The mature are not proud. They avoid the "I'm better than you" attitude. They've set aside their futile attempts to create little boxes for God. They don't fear his immensity, they embrace it. They rest. They remain still. They love God and continually trust in his love for them.  


In our necessarily flawed attempts to try to explain God, we tragically miss him. Too often, we inadvertently make our minds our gods by demanding that God must be containable within them. Hmm ... big mistake. A mistake that keeps us spiritual babies regardless of the vocabulary we can throw around. It's time to simply enjoy him. In doing so, we move on to maturity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?