The Call


 "My heart has heard you say, 'Come and talk with me.' And my heart responds, 'Lord, I am coming.'" Psalm 27:8

When I picked up my ringing phone, I saw my daughter's name on the caller ID. Most of our communication these days is through texts so I answered right away concerned something was amiss. It turned out my daddy senses were accurate. Big pothole, flat tire. After driving the 40 minutes to where she was and putting on the spare, I headed home feeling quite heroic. Nearly home, my phone rang again. Same daughter, even bigger pothole.

In our verse for the day, the Psalmist is reflecting upon a call in his life. No phone was ringing. No loudspeaker was calling his name. It was a special word delivered straight to his heart. Specifically, it was a word of invitation. The Inviter? God Himself. The invitation? To talk. So, what do you do when God calls straight to your heart for a chat? The Psalmist didn't puzzle over the question very long at all. "I'll be right there." 

You and I get calls every day. Lots of them. Phones, emails, circumstances, obligations, decisions, etc. provide a loud and steady flow of calls into our world. We try to answer as best as we can leaving ourselves worn out by the effort. All the while, the deeper call, the call to our heart, rarely gets answered. It's the one call that shapes us and prepares us for all the others. Even a short talk with Jesus goes an awfully long way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?