Please...

 "At that time I pleaded with the Lord and said,'O Sovereign Lord, you have only begun to show your greatness and the strength of your hand to me, your servant. Is there any god in heaven or on earth who can perform such great and mighty deeds as you do? Please let me cross the Jordan to see the wonderful land on the other side, the beautiful hill country and the Lebanon mountains. But the Lord was angry with me because of you, and he would not listen to me.' 'That's enough!' he declared. 'Speak of it no more.' 
Deuteronomy 3:23-26

Having a beautiful wife, four daughters and now a granddaughter, I have been powerless in the face of the many long and passionate "Ple-e-e-e-eases" over the years. I would gruffly choke out a "No" every once in awhile, but we were all in on the little secret. Just keep asking. Just keep sounding cute and desperate and Dad would eventually buckle. If Mom were with me on the "no," it would stand. If not, forget about it. Those sweet girls own me and they know it.

Moses and God were really close. Their relationship was truly remarkable. It's not that God loved him more than anyone else. He wasn't playing favorites. It was simply unique in ways that were representative of Moses' uniqueness. These verses record Moses asking, "Ple-e-e-e-ease," and God holding firm with the no answer. Moses had disobeyed God and the consequences were devastating. He desperately asked God to change his mind. God finally had to tell him, "Do not ask me again." I think both their hearts were broken.

Moses learned some things simply cannot be undone. No quick redo or take twos. Paul learned a fleshly 'thorn" is necessary at times for mission success. Jesus submitted to the brutality of a Roman beating and crucifixion in order to provide the one and only way to heaven. All were told "No." No amount of "pleases" managed to turn God from his "No" answer. What "No" from God is troubling you today? Even aging "No" answers can hinder healing, stunt growth, and derail our impact in this world if we continue to believe that God got it wrong and he should have said, "Yes." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?