To the End

"As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have kept the faith."   II Timothy 4

 
I love reading stories to my grandkids. They keep bringing me books and I'll keep reading them. At their young ages, it's very common to go through the books in snippets. They'll sit still for only so long. You may get a few pages or right to the last page and "boom" the book gets closed and off they run. "Wait," I say. "I want to see how it ends." Occasionally, my daughter will walk by giggling as she sees me sitting there by myself finishing the little children's book. Endings matter. It's what the whole book was leading towards. We all like a good ending. 
 
In this letter to Timothy, Paul was thinking about endings, too. Specifically, his own. Imprisoned in Rome, his circumstances were leading him to conclude that his time was up. It's very natural to take inventory at such times. Does my life weigh well in the scales of God's will? When push came to shove, did I or did I not stand for Jesus? He told Timothy what he needed to do. He told him the cost of doing so. And finally, he told him the reason why it was all worth it -- the ending.  
 
Paul didn't measure his life by bank accounts and years. He didn't keep track of how many standing ovations he received. He didn't point to his children's accomplishments to establish significance. It was so simple and so profound all at the same time. His accurate and amazing assessment? I did what Jesus told me to do. Period. End of story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?