Sparked

"When they heard the words of the prophet Haggai, whom the Lord had sent, the people feared the Lord."  Haggai 1-2

Recently, a rather extensive home improvement project has been occupying the nooks and crannies of my schedule. My son-in-law knows how to build things. I am a highly trained "go-for". If I have to figure something out for myself, it takes a long, long, long time and several trips to YouTube. Typically, I measure five times and cut four times and then I start over. My sweet wife can see the frustration building and she comes in to tell me how great it's going and how proud she is of me. Like magic, my enthusiasm is sparked and I'm ready to build cathedrals!

The people of Israel needed a spark too. They were in the promised land, but everything was still a wreck from the time they were conquered by the Babylonians. They tried to plant crops, but the yields were awful. While down and discouraged God sent Haggai with a message. They had built themselves new homes but had done nothing to rebuild the Lord's temple, the focus of worship for the people of Israel. When they heard, they obeyed. This obedience was the demonstration of their love for God. In response, God sparked their enthusiasm. 

I love this story! One of God's prophets actually witnessed a revival. The people repented of their sins. They did what God told them to do to make things right. The governor of the area was so responsive to God that God told him he would make him like a signet ring on his finger! What a great reminder of what God desires for us. He wants us to do right, to love mercy and to walk humbly with him. And like Zerubbabel, Jeshua and the whole remnant of God's people HE will spark our enthusiasm and give us the power to do exactly that! Thank you Lord!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?