Unshaken

"At that time, his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, 'Once more I will shake not only the earth, but also the heavens.'  The words, 'once more' indicate the removing of what can be shaken -- that is, created things -- so that what cannot be shaken may remain.  Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our 'God is a consuming fire.'"      Hebrews 12:26-29
  
Unshaken

I have a family of amusement park junkies.  It is simply not possible to satisfy their thirst for wild rides.  The faster, the twistier, the crazier, the better.  Their favorite time of the day is right about closing time when the crowd has thinned out enough for them to ride the rides over and over and over again.  Me ... not so much.  Motion sickness has relegated me to the cheering fan leaning on the fence as they fly by upside down "just one more time".  After riding one wooden roller coaster, I was shaken up so bad that I could barely stagger to the park bench where I moaned and groaned for the next thirty minutes.  My head pounded, my insides were all twisted up, and all I could do was examine the cracks on the ground as I sat there with my head between my knees hoping breakfast would remain in my stomach.  Being shaken to sickness does not hold a spot on my to do list.  

When God gave the people his laws at the mountain, the earth shook.  The shaking was so intense that they begged that no further word be spoken as it caused even Moses to tremble with fear.  Apparently, they were not big fans of being shaken either.  We get that don't we?  Not just simply being physically shaken, but shaken in the soul.  Health scares, relational tension, financial stress, employment struggles and the list goes on and on.  Where do we find stability in this world?  Where is the solid ground upon which we can steady our souls?  Our verses for today tell us that God is going to shake things up again to the extent that all that can be shaken will simply be removed.  Gone.  No more.  However, all those who belong to Christ need not worry about that day.  For they will receive the unshakable, the kingdom of God.

Be encouraged today!  If Jesus is your Savior, you are already a citizen of heaven.  You belong to the unshakable.  Circumstances, good and bad, will come and go.  We will live and we will die, yet through it all we stand on the unshakable foundation of Jesus Christ.  So, let us be thankful and worship God.

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?