(un)Comfortable

"...I have worked harder, been put in jail more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. Five different times the Jews gave me thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and day adrift at sea. I have traveled many weary miles. I have faced danger from flooded rivers and from robbers ... I have lived with weariness and pain and sleepless nights. Often I have been hungry and thirsty and have gone without food. Often I have shivered with cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm." II Corinthians 11:23-27

As the thunder and rain continued to escalate as the night went on, it was clear that we were not going to be able to finish our camp-out under the stars. We had taken cover under a tarp covered pavilion, but the water was blowing in sideways and the ground was quickly becoming a little river. In the late hours of the night, the decision was made to load up all of us 8-12 year old boys and get us back to our cabins. Unfortunately for me, my sleeping bag was one of those that had gotten totally drenched. I spent the whole night in my bunk shivering, chilled to the bone, aching for the sun to rise. It still ranks near the top of my worst nights ever list.

However, as I read Paul's testimony of sacrifice and suffering, I realize what a wimp I am. He gave everything and eventually even his life to share with others the wonderful news of God's greatest gift to humanity -- his Son Jesus. Paul carried a perspective that sadly few of us embrace. He wasn't interested in his personal comfort at all. He was all about the mission, the next life, and Jesus. For Paul, there was no hesitation to suffer for the One Who had given up all for him, for the One who had secured him an eternity with God. The short term cost wasn't even worth considering in light of his eternal future.

How much time, energy, and resources have we spent working to create a comfortable life? How many of us truly would be willing to spend one night in jail for Jesus? Would we be willing to endure a sleepless night, hunger, or a beating if that's what following Jesus meant? We may or may not ever be tested in such a way. I don't know. However, I am quite certain that we will be and are being tested as to whether or not our quest for comfort will supersede our quest for the Kingdom of God.

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?