Character

"Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character.' Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God -- I say this to your shame." I Corinthians 15:33-34

After a head to head collision in a pick up basketball game, the lights went out. Darkness. Ringing. Confusion. I don't know how long I was out, but I was quite relieved when I was able to see, think and move again. It was scary. Even though I had a headache, I sure appreciated the privilege of regaining my senses.

I find Paul's definition of character here fresh and telling. A person of good character is one who has come to their senses. Specifically, they have walked away from those attitudes, actions and words that are contrary to God's will. They are living for God and they refuse to be led down the proverbial yellow brick road.

The reality of the situation is that some of us reading this devotion today have lost our senses. Down is up, wrong is right, and false is true. We have become absolutely convinced that our rationalizations are iron clad justifications for what we are doing. They aren't. Consider Paul's words here our smelling salts ... "Come back to your senses and stop sinning..." We find additional warnings in Proverbs 14:12, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end, it is the way of death." The good news? Psalm 130:4 "But with you (God) there is forgiveness..."

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?