Discipline

"I used to wander off until you disciplined me; but now I closely follow your word ... You made me; you created me.  Now give me the sense to follow your commands ... I know, O Lord, that your decisions are fair; you disciplined me because I needed it."  
Psalm 119:67, 73, 75

Apparently, moms and dads get smarter as children get older.  Our three oldest children, since heading off to college, have each had a similar conversation with us.  They told us how they now appreciate the rules and the subsequent discipline they received when they violated those rules growing up in our home.  The two still at home are not quite convinced yet that mom and dad have a clue, but someday...

The Psalmist here reflects this same type of journey in his relationship with God.  One all those who wish to follow Jesus must walk.  Out of his deep love, God provides instruction and commands.  He also provides discipline when we "wander off."  The Psalmist conceded at some point in his journey that since God had created him, the only sensible thing to do was to follow what he said.  He also acknowledged that the discipline that he received along the way was needed.

Where are you and I in that journey today?  God loves us.  He disciplines those whom he loves.  Perhaps it's time for us to connect the dots between our disobedience and the subsequent discipline we are experiencing in our lives.  We will reap what we sow.  I don't know about you, but I'm not a huge fan of the "woodshed."  Maybe it's time for all of us to plead with God, "Give me the sense to follow your commands."

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?