Eyes to See

"'Don't call me Naomi (pleasant),' she told them. 'Instead call me Mara (bitter), for the Lord Almighty has made life very bitter for me. I went away full, but the Lord has brought me home empty. Why should you call me Naomi when the Lord has caused me to suffer and the Almighty has sent such tragedy?'"  Ruth 1:20-21

Typically, we see the glass half empty.  Sometimes, on a good day, we might see the glass half full.  On a bad day, that glass is a desert.  When I'm frustrated with my wife or one of my kids, I can't see much positive to put in their corner and vice versa.  Difficulty, pain, loss, frustration and all of the other negative emotions have this vision shrinking effect upon our lives.

We see this in full effect in Naomi's life.  She had endured multiple tragedies and as a result had settled into a deep bitterness, a bitterness that blinded her from the obvious.  She didn't return "empty".  The Lord had blessed her with a daughter-in-law who would be described later as "better than seven sons!"  It tells us even more about the character of this amazing woman (Ruth) that she would withstand such a deeply insulting comment and continue to care for her mother-in-law.

What is it that is blinding us today?  What haven't we seen, given thanks for, or praised God about for awhile now? Who has angered us recently with comments or actions that it would be better for everyone if we, like Ruth, would just let it roll off of us?  Our own blindness should allow us to be gracious with others'.

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?