One Wish

"Give me an understanding mind so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong.  For who by himself is able to govern this great nation of yours?  The Lord was pleased with Solomon's reply and was glad that he had asked for wisdom."  I Kings 3:9-10 

On a more noble day, if I were given one wish, I'd wish for cures to all diseases or world peace.  On regular days, I'd wish for all the money in the world, an infinite number of more wishes (most times this game is played this wish is not allowed), the ability to play every sport better than anyone else, to be smarter than everyone else, all of Superman's powers ... you get the idea.

As far as we know, there has only been one man granted the privilege by God to make one wish and that was King Solomon, David's son.  He wished for wisdom.  Wisdom!?  I think he should have at least tried the infinite more wishes wish just to see if it really is a rule.  Regardless, his answer pleased God.  Why?  The request for wisdom to rule God's people well revealed a God-centered life.  He understood that no human being was the center of it all. God was ... and is.  It's not about us.  Never has been, never will be.

I suppose the "one wish" game will continue to be played.  Arguments for and against the wish for more wishes will be made.  And ... each day you and I will choose whether to live a life centered around ourselves or God.  My encouragement to us all?  Choose wisely. 

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?