Exposed

" The word of God is alive and active, sharper than any double-edged sword. It cuts all the way through, to where soul and spirit meet, to where joints and marrow come together. It judges the desires and thoughts of the heart. There is nothing that can be hid from God; everything in all creation is exposed and lies open before his eyes. And it is to him that we must all give an account of ourselves."  Hebrews 4:12-13

The time had come. I was done being "friends." I was twenty years old and ready to head out into the future with a beautiful young woman on my arm. I was convinced that she was the one, but was she convinced? So, with my heart in my hands, completely exposed, I told her how I really felt about her. She responded with, "I think you should ask someone else out." ... Ouch! My poor little heart was broken! I put myself out there only to be crushed. Fortunately, however, in time she decided that I was the one for her too. After twenty six years, I believe she's all in.

In our verses for the day, God reveals some important truths about exposure. His word, the Bible, exposes. It's more powerful than any MRI machine. It reveals that which lies beyond visual examination - the soul and spirit, the desires and thoughts of the heart. Who is it then that can read these images? No one less than God himself. All is in his purview. All will be accounted for.

That's right. He sees us at our best and our worst. He knows every horrible thought, word, and deed. There is good news, however. Even in the face of our darkest moments, God still loves us. He sent Jesus to rescue us from ourselves and his Spirit to enable us to live above ourselves. Face it and embrace it. We're exposed AND loved. He's all in. What about us?

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?