Overwhelmed

“But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and that he will stand upon the earth at last. And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God! I will see him for myself. Yes, I will see him with my own eyes. How my heart yearns within me! I am overwhelmed at the thought."   Job 19:25-27

As I stood there looking intently into the deep space images captured on film by the Hubble telescope, my sense of smallness was at an all-time high. To be a speck of humanity on a speck of dust called the earth in a speck of a solar system in a speck of a galaxy among galaxies was too overwhelming to process. I withdrew from those photos stunned, but also in awesome wonder of the one who made and sustains it all.

Suffering Job found himself lost in wonder too. He was completely overwhelmed at the thought of being in the presence of his Redeemer. Not even his dying and decaying body could dissuade him of the anticipatory joy of seeing God face to face. As a man of great faith, he knew the deepest longing of his heart, to see God, would eventually and definitively be realized.

If we are a believer in Jesus today, we share the same Redeemer as Job. We also share in the same staggeringly awesome destiny, to be where Jesus is. When was the last time you stood overwhelmed at the thought that you will see him with your own eyes? Here's a cool thought ... maybe Job will be standing next to us as we gaze upon our glorious Redeemer!

Grace and Peace,

Tom Wiles
tom@fallcreekchristian.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?