Compassion

“A man with leprosy came and knelt in front of Jesus, begging to be healed. 'If you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean,' he said. Moved with compassion, Jesus reached out and touched him. 'I am willing,' he said. 'Be healed!' Instantly the leprosy disappeared, and the man was healed."  Mark 1:40-42

I have very few vivid memories from preschool age to early grade school. I do, however, have one very strong memory while on a field trip as a kindergartner. The road the bus traveled was hilly and curvy. My motion sickness began to kick in big time. I felt awful and all I wanted was my mom. One of the teachers could see I wasn't doing well at all. She joined me on my seat, pulled me close and kept me company while the other kids poured out of the bus. I felt safe, cared for, and loved.

The leper who came to Jesus believed he could heal him. The only question was, "Would he be willing to do it?" It's at this moment where an internal working was powerfully linked to an external expression. Compassion is a wonderful attribute. It's a loving, caring movement in the heart for another. Here, through Jesus' example, we see that compassion is seen in a willingness to act. The implication is fairly clear ... no willingness to act, no compassion. 

A quote from Mother Teresa, "At the end of life, we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by, 'I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless and you took me in.'" In short, compassion leading to a willingness to act. There are a few who are following in the steps of the truly compassionate. Are we among them?

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?