Loyalty

“Judas, the one who would betray him, also asked, 'Teacher, I'm not the one, am I?' And Jesus told him, 'You have said it yourself.'" 
Matthew 26:25
"Love the Lord, all you faithful ones! For the Lord protects those who are loyal to him, but he harshly punishes all who are arrogant. So be strong and take courage, all you who put your hope in the Lord."  Psalm 31:23-24

As I heard his words, spoken with genuine affection, my heart filled with life. In a very difficult context, this man stood up for me, defended me and protected me. I didn't ask him to do it. He just did and I will never ever forget it. Loyalty is a powerful force. It changes people. It is honored in virtually all cultures. Why? Simply put, it matters to us because it matters to our Creator.

Jesus' "friend" and disciple, Judas Iscariot, for reasons known only to him, chose disloyalty. Betrayal is the antithesis of loyalty. Judas was cold-hearted. He played the part of the loyal follower up until the very end. The Psalmist makes it very clear - God honors loyalty and he brings punishment to those who are not. 

Before we start picking up our stones to hurl at Judas, an honest pause is in order. How many times have we betrayed Jesus by poorly representing him, choosing wrong instead of right, or simply by being apathetic in our pursuit of him? Divine protection follows the loyal, but not so with the arrogant. Let's remember this truth as we choose to or choose not to be loyal to Jesus today ... He said, "Never will I leave you. Never will I forsake you."

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?