Power

"The Jews insisted, 'We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God.' When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, and he went back inside the palace. 'Where do you come from?' he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer. 'Do you refuse to speak to me?' Pilate asked. 'Don't you realize I have power to either free you or to crucify you?' Jesus answered, 'You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."  John 19:7-11


Feeling more than a little embarrassed as I handed my license and registration to the police officer, I wished I had been more attentive to what I was doing. Fortunately, he decided to give me a warning. Perhaps, it was the sight of my cute little girls sound asleep in the back that warmed his heart. I don't know for sure, but I am thankful that he didn't use his state given power and authority to issue me a fine.


Power, it seems, has been a big deal for a long long time. Not surprisingly, the Bible speaks to it clearly and decisively. Jesus here, with his death imminent, reminds the Roman governor and us of the bedrock truth about power. God is its sole possessor. Any individual or group who is exercising power over others is doing so only because God wills it. This truth creates a serious crisis of faith.


How do we reconcile the wickedness of those in power with the purposes of a loving heavenly Father? I don't know. I do know, however, that God took humanity's greatest act of evil, the murdering of his Son, and turned it to result in the eternal salvation of any who would believe. Therefore, I choose to trust in him and his goodness even when today's "Pilate's" huff and puff. What about you?


Grace and Peace,

 

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?