Restlessness

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30


The night dragged on and on as the clock seemed to move in slow motion. I couldn't sleep, inconsolably restless over a disturbing series of events. There was an unsettling absence of a clear path. I was surrounded by a thick fog of confusion, hurt, and unanswered questions. I was looking for some serious divine intervention. Thankfully, it came.


As Jesus spoke to the crowd gathered in our verses for the day, they were also lacking in the peace department. They were restless and Jesus knew it. It was a restlessness that went far deeper than one too many cups of coffee. It was soul deep. Big questions haunted them. Patterns of failure stalked them. Jesus' antidote was not a pill, a program, or a paradigm shift. It was a person. Specifically, him.


What are you doing with your restlessness these days? The message of the Bible is clear ... Apart from a growing dynamic relationship with Jesus, the best we can manufacture is distraction. We may find our distraction, whatever it may be, quite fulfilling. However, the day is quickly approaching, either in this life or the next, when our distractions will dissolve and we will be left with one seriously troubled soul.


Grace and Peace,

 

Tom


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?