Consistent Reflection

"You have charged us to keep your commandments carefully. Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect your decrees! Then I will not be ashamed when I compare my life with your commands. As I learn your righteous regulations, I will thank you by living as I should!" 
Psalm 119:4-7

I really enjoy playing golf. I'm not very good at it, but I enjoy it. The fresh air, the fellowship, the challenge - good stuff. Every once in awhile, once or twice in a round of 18, I'll actually hit a shot that any pro on the tour would be happy to claim. It's the shot I'll tell everyone about later. Unfortunately, the next shot I hit is almost always completely forgettable.

Inconsistency isn't exclusively a problem for novice golfers. The Psalmist makes the point that it is a real danger as well for those claiming to be Jesus followers. God has loved us so deeply. Our lives reveal whether or not we're thankful for that love. The consistency or lack thereof between our lives and his commands expose the true condition of our hearts.


It's time to stop comparing our lives to others. It's easy to find at least one person we can say, "At least I'm not like that guy." The trouble with that thinking is that we are not charged to live up to another person. We are charged to live up to God's commandments. We must learn his righteous regulations and surrender to God's Spirit so we can faithfully follow them. When we do, God hears, "Thank you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?