New

 "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth ... And the one sitting on the throne said,'Look, I am making everything new!' And then he said to me,'Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true.'" Revelation 21:1-5

After giving our minivan a good cleaning, I noticed something just wasn't quite right. "What's missing?" I asked myself. Then it dawned on me that although it was clean, the smell was off - a few too many trips to the drive-thru. A quick inspection of the auto section of the store put me in front of any number of car air fresheners. The winner? "New Car Scent" There's nothing like new when the old has gotten really old.

John was a blessed man. In Revelation, he was able to see the new before the new even was. It wasn't a new car, a new house, or a new pair of shoes. It was a new world! A new heaven. A new earth. A new everything! He reports to us that this new world is both like and completely unlike the world we live in now. A wonderful mystery. God can do new like nobody else.

Many of us are weary of the old. We, sadly, spend our days haunted by the same demons, walking the same worn-out ruts and grasping at the latest new that turns out to be just a repackaged version of the same old same old. Jesus issued an invitation to the weary soul. He said,"Come to me all of you who are weary and you will find rest for your souls." He wants to do new in us so we have the best life now and later. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?