The Church Prayed


"But while Peter was in prison, the church prayed earnestly for him. ... So Peter left the cell, following the angel. ... " Acts 12:1-19

It was truly a crossroad moment in my life. Business or ministry? Graduation left me no more time to ponder. My conversations with God were intense, long and passionate. What Lord? Where Lord? When Lord? My heart's tuner was dialed in. One day as I walked through the business school hallway, I stood in the intersection of two hallways. Time stood still. My heart reverberated with the Lord's words, "You don't belong here."

Peter's jail cell was secure. Four groups of guards were on duty. They were, however, no match for the group that was crying out to God on his behalf. An angel showed up. Chains fell off. Guards stayed asleep. Locked doors were opened. Peter went to his more than surprised prayer support team. Shortly after this event, the king who put him in prison came under God's judgment.

Why is it a rarity for the word "passionate" to describe our conversations with God? We've prayed and the circumstances did not change. We've pleaded for and didn't receive. The devil's lie that talking with God makes no difference has felt so true, we've internalized it without hesitation. I hope one day I truly understand that prayer is ultimately about the One to whom I am talking and not what he does or doesn't do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?