Everywhere


"'Am I a God who is only close at hand?' says the Lord. 'No, I am far away at the same time. Can anyone hide from me in a secret place? Am I not everywhere in all the heavens and earth?' says the Lord." Jeremiah 23:23-24

Several years ago, while on a river hike, we found a rock formation that looked just like a deep hot tub in the middle of the river. While in it, I took a deep breath and went down looking at the river forged walls. In the quietness of that moment, it hit me. God is here. He knows every crack and crevice. As a matter of fact, he knows what's going on under the water in every river on the planet! I came up for air...mind blown. 

David reflected on this same reality in Psalm 139. The everywhere-present God. Jeremiah recorded God saying it himself. I'm everywhere. In the heavens? Yes. ALL the heavens? Yes. Everywhere in ALL the earth? Yes. The center of the sun? The unseen spiritual world? The deepest dark of space? Yes. Yes. And yes. This truth revealed to us by God is simply unfathomable to our finite minds. 

Bottom line, we simply cannot go where God is not. To Jeremiah's audience, it was a warning against their deeds done in the darkness. God sees and will hold all to account. To David, it was a marvel and a source of great comfort. How does this truth about the nature of God find us today? Are we a little uncomfortable or are we rejoicing in the promise of his presence? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?