Good Sense

 "David replied to Abigail, 'Praise the Lord, the God of Israel, who has sent you to meet me today! Thank God for your good sense! Bless you for keeping me from murder and from carrying out vengeance with my own hands.'" I Samuel 25:32-33 

As I stood there puzzling over my home improvement project, my daughter walked by and quickly assessed the situation. I was stuck. The last step in my plan would risk unraveling the whole purpose of the project in the first place. Observing my consternation, she asked what I was thinking. Without hesitation, she said, "Oh, why don't you ... ?" "Huh," I said, "Great idea!" Within minutes, I had it all wrapped up.      
 
Perspective is, at times, extremely difficult to find. Emotions, pride, and limited knowledge trip us up more often than we care to admit. David was in one of those places. He was ticked off and disrespected. He was about to unleash some serious paybacks. Then, good sense showed up. Her name was Abigail. With wisdom, tact, and humility she was used by God to open his eyes to the much bigger picture.
 
What or who does God have to use to get your attention? The consequences of our foolishness can be devastating and sometimes irreversible. It doesn't have to be that way. I've told my kids and myself many times that it is simply not necessary to have to learn everything the hard way. God, in his grace, has provided his Spirit, his word, loving people, the mistakes of others, etc. to provide us access to good sense. Today, let's enter into it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?