Less Is More

 "So John's disciples came to him and said, 'Rabbi, the man you met on the other side of the Jordan River (Jesus), the one you identified as the Messiah, is also baptizing people. And everybody is going to him instead of coming to us.' ... 'He must become greater and greater, and I (John) must become less and less.'" John 3:22-36 

After a few years of repeated warnings, my sweetheart gave me the heads up that the time had come. "We're selling the house," she told me. "Sounds good," I said not thinking anything would happen. 19 days later, it was sold. Yikes! "Now what?" I asked. Without a pause, "We're getting rid of stuff." "Less is more" became the mantra. After a few weeks of winnowing, the kids and I just barely made the "to keep" list.     
 
My wife and John the Baptist would have been good friends. He understood the importance of "less." It wasn't stuff that he had in view. It was himself. Jesus was on the scene now. God the Son was center stage. He needed to exit and join the cheering crowd. John was no longer the big deal and he was thrilled about it. John's disciples? Not so much. Like moths to flame, pride is to the spotlight. 
 
It's staggeringly tragic how many lives have been destroyed because of this felt need to be first. Demanding attention, too many of us miss the one who came to establish our true value and worth. Wanting more we miss it all. True liberty for the soul is found in the truth of less of me and more of him. What adjustment needs to made in your life for Jesus to become greater and greater?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?