I Saw

 
"But Samuel said, 'What is this you have done?' Saul replied, 'I saw my men scattering from me ... so I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering myself before you came.' 'How foolish!' Samuel exclaimed. 'You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you.'..." I Samuel 13:1-14
 
I'd been told many times not to dive into or even jump into unknown waters. Anything could lie under that water just out of sight. Those thoughts went through my mind as I prepared to take a small little jump from the rock ledge back into the dark river swirling beneath the waterfall. I didn't see anything, but the excruciating pain coming from my now severely sprained ankle told me otherwise.
 
Sight is a wonderful gift from God. Saul, however, had received something from God that was greater than his sight, a direct command from God himself. Go and wait seven days for Samuel the prophet. Easy enough right? In that time, the enemy forces were growing and his forces were shrinking. He jumped. What he saw overwhelmed his trust in what he was told. 
 
One of the big reasons we don't seek God's word is the same reason we choose not to obey it even if we know what it is. We have a sight problem. What God sees and what we see are simply not the same things. It's staggering how many times we walk right past God's word wrapping ourselves in the silliest of excuses. Saul did. His story didn't end well. Ours is still being written. So, what'll it be ... ears or eyes? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?