In the Presence of Power

"The disciples were terrified and amazed. 'Who is this man?'...people in the region of the Garasenes begged Jesus to go away and leave them alone for a great wave of fear swept over them. The man who had been freed from the demons begged to go with him." Luke 8:22-39

Several years ago now, a friend rolled into town with a his newly acquired Dodge Viper. Basically, it's a massive engine with wheels attached to it. "Want to drive?" he asked. "Absolutely!" I said trying my best to blunt my uneasiness. As soon as I released the clutch and stepped on the gas pedal, I thought to myself, "This road trip isn't going to end well." Heart pounding, I pulled over, smiled and gave him his keys. 

The disciples, the townspeople and the man liberated from demonic bondage all responded to the power of Jesus in very different ways. The disciples responded with fear and amazement. I'm scared, but I simply must follow. The townspeople were cold bone scared and couldn't be rid of Jesus fast enough. The man who had his tormentors dismissed into the pigs was ready to tackle the world and he did.

How would you have responded that day in the presence of the power of Jesus? One day soon, we will all get our opportunity. A last breath has been assigned to us all. When it is exhaled, we will see Jesus face to face. How will we feel about his power then? If we have chosen to believe in him here, we will have already experienced his liberating power and will rejoice in being able to enter into its fullness then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?