Success

"Then he said to them, 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.  What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet forfeit his very self?  Luke 9:23-25

I keep this quote taped on my bookshelf: "Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter."  It reminds me to ask myself some very important questions when making decisions and setting priorities.  Is this decision about God's Kingdom or is it about my little kingdom?  Do my priorities reflect Biblical values or do they reflect my personal preferences?  I often ponder how terrible it would be to come to the end of my days and then realize that my life didn't matter.  The older I get, the more acutely aware I become of the fact that my days are numbered.  I want them to count for something.  Don't you?

Jesus laid it for us in no uncertain terms:  Pick yourself or pick me.  If you pick me, you will have life.  If you pick yourself, you might have worldly success and temporary pleasures, but at the end of the day you will lose your life.

We've all heard the story of the guy who worked his whole life to climb to the top of the ladder only to find out that the ladder was on the wrong wall.  Let's not be that guy.

Grace and Peace,

Tom 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?