Anxiety

“Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24

The headlines of today sound more like an apocalyptic horror story than news. Accounts of senseless killings, missile launches, war, financial collapse, starvation, drug abuse, human trafficking and the like are sure to pour out of the anchorperson's mouth like a river at flood stage. Additionally, we also have all of our many personal stress points. Gut wrenching relational breakdowns, financial despair, unemployment, depression, addictions, foolish decisions, bitterness, injustice, and abuse are sure to headline some of our autobiographies. It doesn't take long for the anchor of anxiety to pull our broken hearts and troubled minds deep into the dark waters of despair. I don't know about you, but it makes me want to stand and shout, "Stop the world, I want off!!"

As we read our verses for the day, we clearly see that bad news and the accompanying anxiety are not our time and place's exclusive cross to bear. The writer turns to the One who alone can touch our wounded souls. He asks God to search, know, test, see and lead. He believed that navigating through the external and internal chaos would require Someone's help Who possessed a far bigger perspective than his.

I don't know what the anxiety is that has a grip on you today, but God does. He wants to help you both see it clearly and move through it victoriously. David, the author of this Psalm, called it "the way everlasting." Now that is a news story worth sharing.

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?