Faith

"What is faith?  It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen.  It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see.  God gave his approval to people in days of old because of their faith.  By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God's command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen."    Hebrews 11:1-3 

Promises are a big deal.  I've made quite a few of them in my life.  My intentions were good and sincere when I made most of them.  I didn't want to let my wife down, my child down, my co-worker down, my friend down, my family down, my church down, but on occasion I have.  Unforeseen circumstances, human limitations, failure to think before speaking, and dissipating motivation have steam-rolled my best intentions.  The net result is I feel awful and their faith in me is shaken.  Promises are a big deal.

God makes promises too.  To date, he's batting a 1000.  He's never had to ask for forgiveness.  He hasn't been stymied by the unforeseen.  No backtracking.  No excuses.  Just pure perfection.  Herein lies the reason why faith in him and his promises is solid.  It's not a hope that says, "That would be really great if that happened."  Nope.  It's a hope that says, "I can't wait until it does happen."  The One who commanded the formation of the universe has said, "I promise."

Broken promises sting like nothing else.  That sting has never been felt by anyone who has stood on the promises of God.  Our faith is only as strong as the object in which it is placed.  Jesus promised his disciples they would see him three days after he died and they did.  Jesus promised that all who come to him will find rest for their souls and they are.  Jesus promised to return to take all who've put their trust in him home to be with him and he will.  You see, for God, a promise made is a promise kept.  You can count on it.

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?