Temptation

"When tempted, no one should say, 'God is tempting me.'  For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.  Then, after desire has been conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin when it is full-grown, gives birth to death."     James 1:13-15

I really really enjoy fishing or more accurately - catching.  If I stop catching, I'm done fishing.  I know the fishing purist might find that attitude mildly offensive, but I'm just being honest.  If I find a fishing lure that works, meaning it successfully tempts fish to bite it, I'll use it all day.  I don't need to experiment.  When it comes to fishing and lures, I am an incurable pragmatist.

In our verses for the day, James has some insights about temptation as well.  First, it's not from God.  Nope, it's an internal matter.  Within each of our hearts are desires that are incurably opposed to God and his desires.  The devil does all he can to appeal to those desires by presenting carefully constructed lures at just the right time in just the right way.  He's very good at it.  And he, unlike me, is a far more patient fisherman.  He will never stop trying to drag us away from God and into a world of hurt.

So, what are you being baited into today?  Bitterness?  Lust?  Gossip?  Immorality?  Pride?  Greed?  The list is quite extensive.  The cost of caving in is brutally high.  Fortunately, James, a little later in his letter, maps out the path to victory:  "Submit yourselves, then, to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."  James 4:7  If you are a Christ follower, you are in a fight today.  Fight to win.   

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?