Commendation

"When people boast about themselves, it doesn't count for much. But when the Lord commends someone, that's different!" II Cor. 10:18

A few weeks ago, during a men's softball game, I fell victim to the visions of granduer that sometimes plagues us middle aged men. A deep line drive provided me the opportunity to do my best Willie Mays over-the-shoulder catch impersonation. Well, let's just say there is a very good reason why he played major league baseball and I didn't. While looking over my shoulder to catch the ball, I failed to notice the chain link fence that was closing in on me at a high rate of speed. When I regained my senses, I was bleeding and bruised from head to toe. Worst of all, however, was the fact that I had dropped the ball when I hit the fence!

My moment to boast of my "greatest catch ever" was lost. Not only could I not commend myself as a great softball outfielder, I actually succeeded in imprinting my below average athleticism permanently on my nose with a scar. Thankfully, the verse for the day clearly states that such commendation is useless anyway. It's temporary. It's self-centered. Honestly, it basically annoys everyone anyway. God's commendation, however, is something completely different.

In the Bible, we see God commending people all the time. He honors the humble. He recognizes the servant. He lifts up those who are lifting up others. Sacrifice and obedience catch his eye. These types of men and women are those who are most like his Son, Jesus. What do you say, with God's help, we reorient our lives in such a way that we live for an audience of One?    

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?