Honor

"For I live in eager expectation and hope that I will never do anything that causes me shame, but that I will always be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past, and that my life will always honor Christ, whether I live or I die."  Philippians 1:20 

As I watched one of our brave military members receive their congressional medal of honor, I was completely mesmerized. The acts of heroism recited and recognized by those honoring them left me wanting to be a better person. My mind whirled imagining the scene they encountered and the decisions they made in the midst of it. It was inspiring to all to see such selflessness, courage, and sacrifice. Honor matters.

In our verse for the day, we find honor prominently placed right next to Jesus. He embodied honor at every level in every circumstance he faced. What "medal" is he worthy of? His Father bestowed upon him the "name that is above every name." What about us? What could we possibly give Jesus that would appropriately recognize the magnitude of who he is and what he has done for us? Paul's answer was nothing less than his very life and ... his death.

Today, we are living for something and someone. We can live for ourselves. We can turn away from all the opportunites this day will afford us to be selfless and courageous. However, should we choose that path, honor will remain conceptual and not concrete. It will be something we observe, but never enter into. Today, we have the privilege in big and small ways to engage in a much larger life, the life of honor. Jesus has earned it. Our souls thrive on it. The world around us will be better for it. Simply put, honor matters.

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?