From Cussing to Communion

3At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. - Titus 3:3-7

All of us at one point were not who we currently are.

This is certainly true of my Grandpa Hodges. My dad recounts stories of my grandpa when he was younger. He has memories of my grandpa being very angry, having a foul mouth. My grandma did the work of getting their three kids to church on a regular basis. Then one Sunday something changed with my grandpa. He decided that he would try to go to church with my grandma.

His family before him was not involved in church. Nothing I can find shows that they were Christian.

Yet he decided to go one Sunday.

Later, he became a Christian. To my knowledge, he was baptized in the old church that no longer is standing. Yet his faith is still standing.

He went on to become one of the elders in my home church. I never knew my grandpa to get angry at all. He's always been so quiet and kind. Some may characterize him as gentle (now 91 years old).


So how does a farmer in a long line of farmers come to the place of repentance before God and confess Jesus as his Lord and Savior? I'm not exactly sure, but I know it had something to do with hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17). I know it had something to do with the example of his believing wife (1 Peter 3:1-2). I also know it has something to do with how the Holy Spirit was gnawing away at the hard exterior of his heart (John 16:8-11).

Now for a fascinating question...
Would I be a Christian today if my grandpa wouldn't have decided to start going to church that one Sunday? Would my dad have wanted to continue in his faith without his dad being interested in Jesus?

We will never know, but I assume our odds would not be good.

The faith you are living today is the example/foundation for the faith of your family tomorrow. It all starts with the simple truth that he saved us not on the basis of our performance, but because of his great mercy (compassion). May you set the legacy for your family's faith by walking closely with Jesus today.

In Christ,

Andrew Hodges

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?