Worry

“Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:6-7

I used to be very confused when people told me about panic attacks. I'm ashamed to admit this thought to you, but I used to think that panic attacks were for the weak. I've since learned that they are a common experience for people who are well ... in a word, human. My first bout with them caught me totally by surprise and I honestly had no idea what was happening. I couldn't catch my breath or stop my heart from racing wildly. My prayer life went to a whole new level that day. 

In our verses for today, Paul dealt head on with the "life muzzler" of worry. His instruction? Pray more. Ask more. Thank more. Worry loves a vacuum, an idle heart and mind. Paul told us to fill them up with the good stuff. Basically, worry is not a resource problem or a control problem, it's a focus problem. When our eyes are firmly focused on him, the cares of this life come into proper perspective.

C.S. Lewis wrote, "Remember one is given strength to bear what happens to one, but not the 100 and 1 different things that might happen." We have numerous opportunities to worry each and everyday. On the flip side, we have just as many opportunities to trust. One path leads to panic attacks. The other path leads to peace. Which one will we choose?

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?